When you take a look at the big picture, I suppose I appear rather wishy-washy. Middle-of-the-road. Spineless even. A rebel without a cause.
Not so fast.
I've put together a handy list of things I stand firm on. Non-negotiable aspects of my life. Things that torture or bribery couldn't alter. So without further ado, here are just a few of the big ones that define who I am as a person:
- I will never participate in a water birth.
- I will never judge or blame another mother for spanking her child in the mall parking lot.
- I will never ask my family to purchase over-priced wrapping paper for a school fundraiser.
- I will have done my job properly when my adult sons stand up when a lady enters a room instead of waving from the couch.
- Thank you notes are mandatory.
- I believe instant oatmeal counts as cooking.
- I think having a couple really good friends is more important than having 2,000 Facebook Friends.
- I think it's perfectly acceptable to walk away from people who drain you. Or who don't send thank you notes.
- I can be draining, and I sometimes forget the thank you notes.
- The key to marriage is a partner who remembers the good, forgets the bad, and thinks you're still decent looking after 3 kids with a stomach that resembles Hiroshima.
|I had some foggy notion about the Alamo as a methaphor for marriage, but my cold medicine kicked in. I'll leave the analogies to you then.|
So there you have it. What are your non-negotiables?