Saturday, February 16, 2013

LTYM & The Dead Grandma Card

As several of my BFF's of the blogosphere prepared readings for the big LTYM Show that will take place this May 5th, a recurring question came up:

How are you guys preparing for auditions?


As a closet introvert, I am still amazed I was selected.  While I spent years stomping out the girl who knew only social anxiety and angst, a part of her is still with me.  I used to count steps as I walked busy city streets to provide distraction and calm.  And if murderers or muggers tried accosting me while I counted? 

Hell hath no fury like Marianne in the throes of her OCD. 

Still, people wanted to know how I was preparing.  In an effort to assist my tens of loyal readers, I have compiled a complete step-by-step guide for auditioning:

#1 Break a Window

Two days before the audition, I was Windexing our 80-year-old etched glass windows and inadvertently bumped a nearby table into the bottom of one pane.  The result:




I thought for sure this was a bad omen for the impending try-out.  When I called my husband at the firehouse to let him know what happened, I started blubbering about 7 years of bad luck. 

"That's for MIRRORS, Marianne.  Not windows."

My husband is so smart. 

#2:  Lock in the Dead Grandma Pity Vote

My grandmother died this past January, but our family scheduled her services for February 9th to allow travelers some time to arrange their schedules.  I thought for sure I would get in trouble with the LTYM producers for making demands for a preferred audition date this early in the process.  I figured they'd write me off as a diva immediately.


Nope.  Dead grandmas are apparently good luck.  Like broken windows and smart husbands.  RIP, Grandma Dorothy, and thanks for pulling for me!

#3 Rehearse in Front of Drunken Irish Mourners

With cousins aplenty, I opted to take advantage of the Irish mourning crowd and sneak in some rehearsal.  My cousins offered countless Bailey's and RumChata-inspired ideas about the piece.  Being equally imbibed, I happily incorporated all of these gems.

While the extra practice was certainly invaluable, I did get a little feedback from the producers after my reading:

"Yeah.  Um.  Let's keep it how you had it originally, 'kay?

Sorry, gang.

#4 Speaking of Liquor

In moments of extreme doubt and uncertainty, I sometimes turn to my husband's flask for a little dose of liquid courage.  For those who might not remember, this flask was a gift from my husband's cousin when he stood up in his wedding.  The cousin had everyone's initials monogrammed to the flask:


That's right, I own a J.E.W. flask courtesy of Joseph E. Walsh.  I'm also thinking of bringing it to the next Seder I get invited to.  Steph?  Rada?  You listening??  I needs me some flattened bread ASAP.

So there you have it.  The How-To Guide for LTYM success.

Good luck to everyone auditioning this weekend and congrats to all my bloggy pals who've already made it.  I also know some very talented people did not make it, but I hope that doesn't dissuade them from trying again.  The caliber of auditioners was just amazing this year.

'Cept me, that is.  I played the Dead Grandma Card.

But to all those who will be on stage this May 5th...

BREAK A WINDOW!

28 comments:

  1. You just gave me inspiration for my Dad's Father's Day gift. His initials spell G.O.D. Seriously.

    I love this. All of it. I can't wait to share the stage with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST do it!! And take pictures!!! And blog about it!! If my initials were GOD? Think of the mileage I'd get out of it!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your grandma.

    Hope you have something good in the flask and are willing to share on the big day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahaha, this is perfect - Funerals aside, of course. I'm excited to share the stage with you. Let's just stay away from the windows, shall we? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll also be leaving my Windex at home! Thank you & can't wait to meet you!

      Delete
  4. Still laughing about interrupting your OCD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little serious about that. Don't tell. I'm still a bit on the "borderline" side of things. (;

      Delete
    2. Trust me, it was a nervous laughter awash in commiserating! Always hoping for sidewalk cracks to avoid!

      Delete
    3. Ha! Remind me to tell you about how I add together the numbers on digital clocks and my various superstitions when the result ends in a "0." Oh...I could go on for hours....

      Delete
  5. "Yeah. Um. Let's keep it how you had it originally, 'kay?"
    *snicker*

    Pretty much. :)

    Totally bringing my non-J.E.W. flask to rehearsal with me. Maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I couldn't agree more! Drunken Irish mourners need the voice of reason. We rely on saner people than ourselves on a daily basis.

      A non-J.E.W. flask?? I'm intrigued. (;

      Delete
    2. I believe that wouldn't be Kosher...

      Delete
  6. I am sorry about your grandmother. But wow, I bet that window was a mess to clean up after!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the window cracked inward (between frame and storm window), so I pretty much just taped up the remaining cracks and taped a some cardboard to it. We luckily have another window just like it by the front door that we may steal to keep the original look of the house.

      Delete
  7. You have OCD? You clean windows? Do you hire out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually the "messy" one in my family. My mom & sister are the ultimate masters of clean & order. Imagine a world where there is not a droplet of water in any sink in the house and there is always exact spacing between items hung in a closet (using wooden hangers of course).

      Delete
  8. I cannot imagine such a world with those kinds of closets and those spotless sinks. I am just glad clothes get hung up in a crowded closet before I get to sorting them and decide on hopefully a smaller size.

    Now my creativity is messing up my husband's pool table as I make a quilt using some too big clothes.

    Perhaps you can be neat in stages between the creativity. This is my hope, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking, Carol. Being my sister is exhausting (which probably explains why she is so thin...hmmmm).

      Delete
  9. You are definitely invited to our next seder. Although, I am so reformed Jewish that I am practically Catholic so at our house, we have matzah on a plate right next to the bread! Congrats on the audition and sorry about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rada! No getting all Catholic on me. You know I'm only friends with you for the Jewish insight. Well. That, and your mom's mystical magical milky mushroom stories.

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry about your grandmother. I am, however, very happy about your flask. Looking forward to meeting and toasting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad it was a window and not a mirror. My mom once broke two mirrors in one day...bad luck for most of my childhood. I am still in therapy over it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Passover's coming up next. Feel free to come to Seder! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete